Friday, March 21, 2008

Flash back exactly four months back - Mid Dec 2007

On that fateful sports event day on my office, I was in high in my energy. Any smart person like you would've guessed that my adrenalin levels didn't match my age and the strength levels of my knees. Though I pride myself with having a fairly strong quads and hamstrings due to recent exercises and aerobics sessions, the strength of my knee ligament was no match for the level of strain they felt when I twisted my knees sideways trying to throw a shotput. Yes, a logical person would say that the knee joint allows movement in 2D for forward and backward. I happened to twist it sideways and it immediately buckled. I could get back to my balance only by the strength of my other leg.

I managed to get back my balance on my left knee and I felt smart that I could sense that specific movement that causes buckling of my knees then on. But so smart I am, I didn't bother to check for swelling and I didn't bother to return home immediately and apply ice. Instead, I let my pride stay up and played for some more time before decided to go home 2 kms away on my motorbike.

Too many mistakes and I didn't bother to take care of my knees for a few weeks from then. A vacation trip to heavenly Andaman (I'll refrain from digressing there right now) and a trip outside the country ensured that I didn't visit the doctor for full 6 weeks from the day I was injured.

6 weeks from then, I realized that I could drive around, walk around, climb stairs, but there was always this big discomfort and the occasional buckling of my knees.

A few doctor visits and an MRI scan confirmed that my ACL is completely torn. They say I should've felt a pop sound when I got myself injured. May be it was, may be I didn't. But what scared me was the 6 weeks rest that the doctors adviced me to take. But worried me was that I had to undergo an arthroscopic surgery and be at bed rest for a while, which was unimaginable for me.

So what is this ACL reconstruction surgery is about, in Chennai condition? Will talk about that next.

No comments: